Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Perfect Getaway Review

A Perfect Getaway

A Perfect Getaway was marketed as a pure horror film
at the time of its theatrical release. However, it mixes different elements of fantasy, horror, and more. I was quite taken aback at how good the pacing, and overall story of this film turned out, and I guess it’s going to really be controversial, but I actually loved the horror that this film brought with not only smart writing, but beautiful landscaping, and music. Editing was also a key point of this film, and I loved the way some parts had edits tagging side by side with music.

The first thing I noticed about this film was how pretty Milla Jovavich was. I found her stunning and I don’t usually like her, but in this film the way her accent works and her overall look was really impressive to me personally. I don’t usually fall for chicks like that, but man, she just had this tangible beauty in the early parts of this film, that really made things worthwhile when the latter turns.

The plot revolves around a group of honeymooners on a trip in Hawaii. Through the course of the film we find out bits and pieces of the rest of the story, and back-story that includes little foreshadowing about the future decisions that are going to be made in the film. The story gets complicated when news spreads that there is a couple of killers loose on the island. As our main couple get involved with a new couple, things start to get complicated and we are treated to a round of “who dunit” and then things start to really escalate from there.

The scary parts of this film really revolves around the plausibility of this story. Could a two couples really go hiking and 2 of them be killers? Yes! HELL YEAH! I’m in, hook line and sinker. Steve Zahn plays a good overall roll and really sells the “good guy” thing at very good parts of the film.

The third act, wow, it really starts to turn around and if you invest a good amount of time into it, you really see how good the writing becomes. The moments that you think you’ve got the killers down, you start to reluctantly switch gears, then you start to really see the overall picture. You start to realize that you were wrong, and if you say you figured it out earlier than the movie shows you, you’ll be lying to yourself and me…or maybe you’re too smart to watch movies…I don’t know, I didn’t get the right answer.

The film’s third act turns over a new leaf with expert editing, music, and more. You feel the tension in the cuts, you feel the brutality as it arises through some great cinematography. I really enjoyed the overall sense of urgency that arose as the plot thickened and the twists came.

The music is awesome, the editing in the third act sold me greatly. It was fabulous. I loved it.

Is A Perfect Getaway Scary? : Yes.

I think that this film, despite the minor flaws I found in it, had some of the best scary moments. The whole uncertainty of who the killers are, who’s on who’s side and the way it plays out was quite good. The flashback sequences and turning point that brought you back to the present story was great too. It really sucks you in. The scariest part for me was that I was recently in an exotic place and after seeing this am now a bit worried about the possibilities.

Ok, so I’m not exactly scared, but this movie really brought up something that Turistas, and others didn’t.

Is this movie perfect?

No.

Is this movie truly horror? Yes and No.

I loved the pace, I loved the editing and the tense music, and the lush landscapes. I really thought this one was worth my time and recommended it. A Perfect Getaway sucked me in then pulled the rug under me before pummeling me, then allowing me to cheer on my favorite characters to see a good outcome. I guess I’m getting soft in my old age. I loved it.



Looking for grindhouse, horror, or sci-fi films? Please check out our amazon astore featuring all things horror. Don't trust astore? Check out amazon.com, surprisingly they have more grindhouse,horror,and rare sci-fi than you may not have thought possible.

4 comments:

  1. jervaise brooke hamsterFebruary 25, 2010 at 7:13 AM

    Its scary to think that at the age of 34 milla Jovovich is already 16 years past the absolute pinnacle and peak of her physical attractiveness and desirability, when she was 18 that bird was truly incredible but now the magic is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great and fun movie to watch. There is no way you can figure out what is going on while you are watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to bugger Milla Jovovich (as she was in 1993 when she was 18, not as she is now obviously)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milla Jovovich was so fine in this movie, I completely fell for her...i'd love to sit and say "what's up" with her sometime

    ReplyDelete