Friday, August 6, 2010

Shuttle Review

shuttle

Oh yes, another independent horror film, and this time around it looked promising. I saw the previews and they made it sound like it's a viable horror film, so I got it and checked it out.

The story is simple enough, a group of friends get onto an airport shuttle bus that is set to take them home. The shuttle gets lost and a strange car causes them to blow out a tire. While changing a tire, one of the friends gets their hand chopped off and away we go!

The more we go along with the film the more we see that the driver is not on the up and up, and he takes everyone hostage on a ride to hell! Well, not necessarily real hell, but a torture filled romp through some back streets near the airport. The film started to lose steam with me then the second act had one heck of a twist and a third twist made this thing worth it.

While there were some instances where I thought it was stupid to just not run away and keep running, I understand the idea behind it. I've been in a lot of shuttle buses, and I can attest to the nature of the interiors not allowing you to just jump out onto the concrete.

Bad acting of course is here, no major signs of nudity and sex, but the torture sequences were quite well done. Best part? I would have to say people getting run over by the shuttle, and then getting backed up on. The film fights itself to make sense, and makes some great points when the only ones to get the driver razzled was the women in the film.

Knives, flares, and a rogue shuttle with a crazy driver? Not half bad. But is it scary enough to get you to watch it?

Is Shuttle A Scary Film?: No.

I can agree that the idea is a little fresh, but the execution is not. The pacing and the turns are easily spotted and I saw them coming. Sure, there was one nice turn that I didn't really expect, but the rest? Just another cookie cutter way of throwing kids around into a situation that they should be running from, but rather make stupid mistakes and get caught up with a psychotic killer.

The main villain (the bus driver) does a good enough job, but I didn't buy that these guys couldn't take him out. The film goes through some tight sequencing and some sick hits with the car. The gore levels are done just right, and there's not a lot of focus on blood spills and CG blood.

Yes, this film had it's moments, but overall it wasn't the best thing I've seen in a while. I found myself wanting to finish it, but not sure why. Shuttle has some very scary overtones, some gut wrenching painful attacks, but overall, it's just another horror movie you can live without.

I don't highly recommend this film, but I do say check it out. It's not as bad as Wrong Turn 2 or anything like that, and it at least had a clever premise, even if it was a little boring after a while.

1 comment:

  1. jervaise brooke hamsterNovember 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM

    With regards to the 2 hot chicks in the picture, i desperately want to rip their knickers and bras off and then procede to perform every sex act in the known universe on both of them.

    ReplyDelete