Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dreamcatcher Review

dr
Ah yes, 2003, the year I started college and found out that my future would be a mixed bag of technology, blogging, and whatever else I could do for money legally. This adaptation of Stephen King’s novel seemed to be an interesting thing, but since I didn’t read the novel, I assume that the two are polar opposites, and while some fans were all over this as a positive thing, I was not so receptive to the idea that this was the best that could be done with the source material. Dreamcatcher is the movie I’m going to try and talk about, even though my thoughts on the matter are relatively short, to say the least.

The movie’s plot starts with a group of kids getting telepathic powers from a young boy. They save the kid from a bully and their whole lives change for the future. The audience is then taken to the present where a hunting party has gone awry, and we get thrown into a full blown scary piece of film making. For most people it took a moment to realize what was going on, and then things really get out of control as the gore starts to turn up. Essentially we have an alien invasion on our hands, and things are not looking too good. Not just any aliens, cannibal aliens, making for an interesting turn of events.

By the time we get to the end of the movie, I got bored. Sure, I can buy into a lot of things, but worm aliens seemed to be far better in other movies. I liked the visuals, don’t get me wrong, the visuals were really nice. The library sequences were well placed, well done, and worth checking out. The action is broken up between military trying to stop the invasion, and the companions playing “Stand By Me” amidst possession by worms.

The most exciting things in the film are pushed forward swiftly, making for an entertaining piece, albeit tiring in the way it’s delivered at times. It feels like a shorter film than it is, and that’s the best thing about the movie overall.

I don’t recommend Dreamcatcher, but it fans of Stephen King might love it. It’s available now, so check it out and see if it’s better than I remember it.



Remember to leave a comment, to be entered to win Total Recall on Blu Ray. Winners will be announced at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment